Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Ok so sue me!!

Ok, so I know I said I would not post anything until after finals were over, but...I lied (I guess).  I'm really excited about my new entry for drawergeeksjr.  I was kinda bummed about the subject for this coming entry week, because it was one I did not know very much about.  The theme was Image comics, which is a publisher of independent comics (so none of them are mainstream comics like Marvel or DC).  So I checked out the site, and was not super impressed with any of the material that they had on there, and I was just going to skip this one, seeing as how I was pretty far behind in homework and such, but then it happened.  I found some spare time, and found a comic I recognized.  The name of the character is Spawn.  His story is pretty strange (even as far as comic books go)  but I vaguely know his background, so I decided I would do this one for drawergeeks.  I think it's my best yet, I'm really excited about it.  

To keep the excitement in the air, I will show you the process with out showing you the finished product until the end of the post.  Hopefully you will have to scroll down to see it.  Anyway here it goes.

This first image is the initial sketch I did of Spawn.  You will understand why he is looking down with a forlorn look on his face later.  I actually did this sketch without really using a reference.  I glanced at a few images to remind myself of his basic look, and just went for it.  I am really pleased with how it turned out.



The next step in the process was to paint him.  This is the same process I've discussed before.  I make a new layer under the sketch, and paint under it, so as not to paint over any lines.  With some insight from Darah, this turned out really well also.


So you'd think that'd be it right?  I mean I have a nice drawing and painting.  Why mess with something that works?  But I had big plans for this entry.  I had been playing with some brushes in photoshop, and got a really sweet idea.  The following is a test I did to play with these elements.



Pretty cool huh?  Not perfect, but pretty sweet.  I downloaded some ripple brushes for no reason in particular, and I thought I could make a rain one and use the ripples in a puddle.  Once I did this, I got the idea for my drawer geeks.  It is a perfect means to portray the kind of feeling I was hoping to with the Spawn character.  So I did this different take on Spawn and now without further adeu...da da da da!

My Drawer Geek Final image

I wanted to portray a deeper feeling for Spawn than I have normally seen.  It is common to see Spawn in an angry or scary pose.  I wanted to show how he feels when he looks at himself and what he has become.  So that's it, the drawer geek entry for Image comics.  Talk about taking nothing and turning it into something.

A few more things before signing off.  Due to the fact that Darah and I have decided to go through with the making of Benny the Yak, I have created a Blog for us to chart our progress, and for you to check it out.  The link is bennytheyak.blogspot.com
Also, just some news, one of my designs won the design competition for the residents hall t-shirt.  Although I'm not sure which one won.  But if you live in Miller or Meadows Hall,  get one cuz they are gonna be sweet.
So that's it for now, I shall return to my homework cave, and slave away at the grindstone for the next two weeks.  Until next time...

Peace,
Jake


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Benny the Yak, Spawn. Things are looking up for you. Things are looking up.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete